We're delighted to have partnered with Alice Manning, Acting Beauty Director of Hello! & Hello Fashion Monthly to share tips, tricks and products to instantly brighten tired eyes.
Did you know that on average we blink 15-20 times per minute? That’s 1,200 per hour! Plus, the skin on our eye lids is the thinnest skin on our bodies, so all that blinking alone (not to mention sleep, screen time, lifestyle or diet) the delicate eye area is under a lot of strain, so no wonder it is one of the first areas to reveal how tired and stressed we are. And in these uncertain times of lockdown, chances are your eyes are more tired-looking and puffy than ever. But panic not, because we have the solutions. Read on to discover all…
Hero Product For Tired Eyes
Just imagine the cooling, calming sensation that Aloe Vera would bring to tired, irritable eyes. Throw in Hyaluronic Acid which has the ability to hold on water for heaps of hydrating benefits and Himalayan Spring Water which is abundant in skin-renewing minerals including Calcium, Magnesium and Potassium. In creating our iconic Firming Eye Gel, the texture was key. A serum, cream, mask, balm, patch or gel, we opted to blend our calming cocktail of ingredients into a silky gel formula as it’s lightweight, easily absorbed and a dream to blend over skin (make-up layers beautifully over the top too). You’ll forget you’ve even applied it.
Top Tip: Keep your bottle in the fridge for added cooling benefits.
5 Steps to Brighter Eyes
Ready to get glowing?
- It’s allergy season with hayfever on the horizon - look into a daily antihistamine, shower after being outside and invest in specific eye drops for instant relief.
- We know it’s hard being housebound at the moment and our sleep is being affected as a result, but it doesn’t take a genius to tell you that sleep is a key preventative. If you’re finding it hard to switch off, remember to remove all blue lights from your bedroom (yes, that includes your phone), sleep in lightweight cotton pyjamas and find a method to calm a whirring mind before getting into bed; meditation, breathing techniques or warm, candlelit bath (with all the lavender-rich bath oils).
- Cut out caffeine and alcohol wherever possible, to help fend off dull, dark eyes. According to the top nutritionists, filling your cupboards, fridge and body with superfoods will help send dark under-eyes and lacklustre skin packing. Think Omega-3 fatty acids, B vitamins, antioxidants and water-rich foods, like watermelon and cucumber. And remember, while those salty snacks are tempting to eat while you’re at home more, they could result in fluid retention which will leave you with puffy peepers – no thank you!
- What’s your water goal? We try to drink 2-3 litres of water each day at Herbal Essentials HQ, and switch to peppermint or chamomile tea once we’ve had our morning cup of coffee (or nectar as we prefer to call it). Being so thin, the under-eye area is incredibly sensitive to dehydration so really monitor your water intake. Try adding slices of orange or cucumber and mint to make water more exciting.
- Switch off your screen! Staring at a computer all day long will really strain your eyes. Yes, it may be unavoidable with today’s fast-paced world and long hours working from home right now with COVID-19, but an increase in eye strain can cause the blood vessels around your eyes to dilate and the appearance of dark circles and tired eyes to worsen. Try taking a break from your screen as often as realistically possible and decreasing the screen brightness will also help, and no scrolling through social media in bed. That’s Herbal Essentials orders!